Sunday, September 4, 2011

One More Day!!!!!!

I had a great time at both gatherings meeting my new friends and their families. I sincerely feel that this is a great class of children and parents. I appreciated hearing that some of my new students are a little less nervous about this thing called kindergarten, especially after the classroom preview. Hopefully some of you parents are also :)






This week my goal for our class is simple: I want the children to begin to feel comfortable being at school. We will be learning new customs, such as raising one’s hand to speak at group time, and some new vocabulary (“activity time,” “writer’s workshop,” “special (enrichment) classes”). We will be getting used to our daily schedule and leaning where things are around the school and around the classroom. We will focus on getting to know our classmates and the school staff.

First Day of School

School begins at 8:30; however parking can be really difficult, so give your self plenty of time. The playground opens at 8am. When you come in, there will be a place for lunches over the cubbies. The children will choose where to put their cubbie in the shelves. They will also be asked to make a nametag. If they arrive early, they may play outside, but not in the classroom. I don’t want them to get started in play and be interrupted when it’s time to come to group. As close to 8:30 as possible, I will welcome the children to the circle, where we will have a group time focused on learning some basic things about our class. After that, I will release them to the centers: art, math and language arts.

You are welcome to stay for as much of the day as you think will help your child feel comfortable and will support their growing independence. You should let your child know the plan before you come to school, (i.e., “I am going to stay until you go to centers,” or “until you sit down for group.”) Make sure you tell them exactly when and where they will see you again, and how fun it will be for you to hear how their day went. If you need to leave and are having trouble with separating, please let me know. If you stay, I will likely put you to work.

If you leave and would like an update as to how your child is doing, you may call the office and Joan will come and check in with me and let you know.

What to Bring:

-Labeled lunch box or bag containing a snack for the morning and a nutritious lunch (if they are not getting a school lunch). I am known for my strong feelings regarding the connection between children’s ability to learn and the availability of healthy food. I suggest things such as fresh fruit, crunchy veggies, pasta, crackers (preferably whole grain), a sandwich, protein such as beans, cheese, tuna, nut butter, yogurt or meat, and a minimum of sugar or junk food. No candy or soda is allowed for snack or lunch. I am happy to play the “heavy” here; you can say, “Ms Morgan doesn’t allow candy.” I can’t warm or refrigerate food, so I suggest using an ice pack or thermos.

-A change of clothes. Even if your child doesn’t have bathroom accidents anymore, they may be needed for art or juice spills.

- If your child needs it, they can bring one small stuffed animal or transitional object. He/she/it will probably stay in your child’s cubbie most of the day, but just knowing it’s there can feel comforting.

Please do not bring backpacks or other objects too large to fit in the cubbies. We are kind of tight on space and your help is appreciated.

Please feel free to email me with any questions about Tuesday. Beginnings are so important, and I am looking forward to a great one!

I want you to know I am very aware of the honor you are doing me by trusting me to teach and nurture your children. Thank you for that trust and for the great year we will share together.


No comments:

Post a Comment